Monday, August 3, 2009

Alberta and Missing Grandpa Barr


We have just returned from a trip to Alberta to see family and friends. Before we left, I was ready to break away from our routine and looked forward to some home cooking from both Carmon's mom and my mom, oh and to not have to clean our house for almost 2 weeks - bliss. It is funny how just a little time away can rejuvenate you and by the time we were heading back to Toronto I was ready to get back in the swing of things again. Cooking, groceries, bootcamp, stroller walks, structured naps, laundry and even a little cleaning.

Unfortunately, while we were away, we had to deal with another death in our family. This time it was my Grandpa Barr. Grandpa was just about 80 years old and was still incredibly active and ambitious. He loved puttering around in his yard and his garden, woodworking, writing poetry and baking. Grandpa will be remembered for many things, but what I will remember most was his love for food.

Grandpa Barr and Max April 2009

Grandpa always grew the sweetest corn and when I was a child he would share it with family, friends and neighbours by hosting a corn roast at the end of the summer. The kids would sit by the fire anxiously waiting for our corn to be roasted to perfection, unwrap it and dip it in a tall tupperware container filled with melted butter. I can't imagine how many bricks of butter it took to fill that container but it was just the coolest thing to be able to plunge our cobs right into it - just like they dipped the soft ice cream in chocolate at the Ponderosa drive in.

Grandpa was famous for his fruit pies and I always loved to sample his pie of the moment, depending on which fruit was in season. His crusts were perfection, not too thick and wonderfully flaky.

Best of all was his dill bread - fluffy white bread with flecks of dill and the most delightful sweet egg wash on the top. Somehow Grandpa seemed to know when it was the right time to share a loaf and I always felt special when I was given my very own mini loaf to devour alone.

Grandpa was so happy to meet Max and we had a nice visit with him in April when we were home. He followed our blog and had sent me some wonderful emails over the past 6 months. The emails are full of spelling and grammar errors - which makes them seem more authentic somehow, I can just see Grandpa pecking away on his laptop...

This email was sent on Feb 14 - the day Max was born, before the news had reached home.

Just about a mother. You will never be quite the same. I can't wait to see the little guy .Have you got a name picked out. Alice and I could never agree on a name until the last day when we were to go home and we had to have a name to put on the birth certifate. We would get into the truck and the first thing I would do was light up a cegerete. They would hang me by the family jewels if it was today.I guess baby's were tougher in those days. More exciting to.No set belts and kids flooting around in the car from the front seat to the back. We never lost one. Times have sure changed .Maybe for the better -- maybe.We will keep watching your blog for any breaking news.We send you two our love and our wish that all goes well Your Grand dad Jim

Another email, later that day...

Your dad just dropped over to tell us the wonderful news .Congratulations. Max ,I'll have to get used to that name.Max ----'The most' and that is what he is right now.And in an atempt to be funny I could say you are Maxed out. I'm sure you are rather busy right now so I won't expect a reply for a while. Injoy your bundle of joy Your Grandpa .

March 5.

Your dad brought over some pictures of Max when we were having coffee with Helen and Goerge. Thanks they were great. New babys grow and change awfuly fast as you probably.have discouvered We had made dill bread and it was still warm so they had some with there coffee and we sent a loaf home with your dad . He was happy because he didn't have to share it with Eric. We check your blog and injoy watching Max change. Can you remember the old house or was it taken down? I have a lot of memories of your kids when they were babies in that house. Enough for now. Love your Grandpa.

March 13.

Hi Cheryl. On your latest blog I was over joyed to hear that Max is to carry on at least one of the Barr traites eg the noisey sometimes embarrassing release of gas. I myself have been ( for the quanty I posess) listed as a natural resource in case the gas wells fail to produce. No need to add a smell detection substence it comes free. I have heard it also burns with a blue flame. Tell Max to keep the good work and to carry on this great -tradition . One , it is said must choose their perents well and Max has done very well indeed. It is my hope that he doesn't take on some of my realy bad habits. Bye for now your Grandpa.

Of course now I wish that we had been corresponding by email earlier, that we had spent more time with Grandpa when we did get home, and that he would be able to watch Max grow and feel the joy from a smile from his first Great Grandchild. We will miss you Grandpa!

3 comments:

MLG said...

That brought a tear to my eye - what a beautiful memory to have those last emails! What an adorable man... I can see why he will be so greatly missed! xox

katrina lauren said...

cheryl,
what a beautiful & touching post. how special it is that you have these letters from your grandpa sharing in the journey & excitement of becoming a mother. you have shared such wonderful memories of your grandpa...so sweet & true. i love how you spoke about the mini loafs of bread; baked special for one person and how he just seemed to know who to give them to...
i am so sorry for your loss and i keep you and your family in my thoughts & heart.
xo.
k

Sebrina said...

I did not know your Grandpa Barr but after reading your post and the emails he sent you I feel like I did. I think it is so incredible that a man his age used email...I don't know very many people his age that do that. We are so sorry about your loss.